HVAC / VRF / CHILLED WATER / FIBER-FREE DUCT INSULATION
Whether you need to insulate refrigerant, VRF (variable refrigerant flow), VRV (variable refrigerant volume), chilled water piping, HVAC equipment, chillers, tanks, vessels, or ducts (wrap or liner), Aerocel® has you covered.
Aerocel EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) pipe, equipment, and duct insulation is available in preformed unslit tubes, labor-saving factory-split tubes (SSPT™), sheets, rolls (with or without a PSA), and factory-fabricated AeroFit™ fittings, Aerofix® insulated pipe hanger supports, Aerocel adhesives, zero-perm EPDM Protape® and Aerocoat™ UV-protective coatings, all designed to conserve energy, control condensation, prevent corrosion under insulation, reduce the potential for mold growth and attenuate HVAC background noise.
More about HVAC
For demanding applications that require below-ambient (cold) line temperatures in high-temperature and high-humidity environments, Aerocel® Ultra-Low Perm (ULP®) offers the lowest perm rating of domestically-available closed-cell elastomeric foam with a water vapor permeability (WVP) rating of 0.01 perm-inch. This WVP rivals that of cellular glass but with reduced thickness requirements due to an efficient thermal conductivity k-factor of .245 @ 75°F.
VRF/VRV systems continue to experience rapid growth in demand and are designed to operate at service temperature from below 32°F (0°F) to +248°F (120°C). System manufacturers require a continuous service temperature of insulation rated for at least +248°F (120°C). Aerocel EPDM is the only domestically-manufactured flexible closed-cell elastomeric foam insulation with an upper continuous service temperature of 257°F (125°C) with availability in IDs as small as ¼” and thicknesses up to 2”.
While cellular glass is commonly specified for chilled water applications, Aerocel flexible closed-cell elastomeric foam is more frequently considered due to its inherent ability to control condensation with its closed cell structure and built-in vapor retarder, lightweight, flexibility, low thermal-k, competitive water vapor permeability, and material cost (no separate fabrication step in the supply chain).
For duct wrap and duct liner applications, Aerocel sheet & roll insulation can attenuate lower frequency HVAC noise (250 - 750 Hz) due to closed cell structure and density when compared to open-cell fibrous duct insulation. Additionally, it’s always fiber-free, microbial-resistant and Indoor Advantage[TM} Gold Certified for low chemical emissions. Aerocel sheet & roll insulation is also available with a factory-applied pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) for tenacious bonds to clean sheet metal while saving labor when compared to wet-applied contact adhesives.
Aerocel EPDM closed-cell elastomeric foam rubber insulation is a proven choice for improved efficiency, design, and more. When properly installed, you can count on the following performance benefits:
- Upper continuous service temperature of 257°F (125°C)
- Lower continuous service temperature of -320°F (-196°C)
- Closed-cell structure with built-in vapor retarder that effectively controls condensation
- Protection against pipe corrosion for favorable life cycle costs
- Safe for stainless steel piping; does not cause external stress corrosion cracking (ESCC)
- Natural mold resistance, which means longer-lasting materials and reduced health risks to building occupants; no added biocides
- Naturally UV-resistant (condensers & rooftops) for enhanced durability and longevity
- SSPT™ pre-formed tubes in ID’s ranging from ⅜” to 16” IPS
- Available in pipe sizes as small as ¼” and wall thicknesses up to 2” thick
- EPDM zero-perm tape (Protape) to seal and protect glued seams from water vapor drive
- Passes ASTM E84 25/50 flame/smoke standard up to 2” (50 mm) thick for increased fire protection
- Meets national (ASHRAE 90.1, IECC, IgCC) and state energy codes (CA Title 24)
- Made in the USA with global materials, so your material selection supports jobs and our local/national economy
Whether you need to insulate small or large piping, fittings, valves, couplers, pumps, equipment, tanks, vessels, or ductwork, we’re here to help you select the right HVAC, refrigerant, VRF, VRV, chilled water, or duct insulation system for your application.
Why non-polar EPDM elevates insulation performance
Aeroflex's Aerocel brand of insulation products are unique among other closed-cell elastomeric foams in that they are classified “non-polar.” EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a non-polar compound and the basis for all Aerocel insulation.
Polarity is a function of the electrical charge across a molecular structure. When a material is classified as “non-polar,” it means that the electrical charges are evenly distributed across each molecule. This makes the molecules more stable, especially when exposed to water. As a result, Aerocel insulation degrades at a slower rate than other closed-cell elastomeric brands, especially when exposed to moisture, sunlight, ozone and a wide range of temperatures.
Because Aerocel EPDM insulation is hydrophobic, meaning that it does not react with water, it is inherently microbial-resistant and lasts longer, providing owners with a more favorable product life-cycle assessment and cost than other closed-cell elastomeric foam insulations.